Our technical writing techniques training is broken into two courses to provide you with the depth of instruction and hands-on experience you need to transition into the field.
In this two-day course, you will learn the essential techniques and methodologies to transition into a technical writing career. You’ll improve your documentation and software skills by creating multiple types of technical documents. We’ll discuss processes, tasks, and the fundamentals of technical documents. This course includes a workshop, during which you will create sample technical documents. Exercises, handouts, hands-on labs, and assignments are included to enhance your ability to complete technical writing projects.
Recommended experience: Some professional experience or completion of Introduction to Technical Writing
Contact us to learn more about on-site and remote training and consulting.
Technical Writing Techniques – Part 1 – Day 1
The Technical Writing Process
- Understanding the need and the audience
- Gathering content
- Subject matter expert (SME) interviews
- Best practices for collecting information from SMEs
Technical Writing Tasks
- Creating document outlines
- Explaining processes
- Using visual aids
- Document formats
Technical Writing Techniques – Part 1 – Day 2
Technical Writing Workshop
- The Microsoft Word interface
- Tips for writing software instructions
- Using elearning tools for technical documentation
- Writing policies and procedures
- Writing a document outline
- Writing drafts
- Conducting document reviews
- Creating a table of contents
- Legal information
- Revising drafts
- Peer editing
- Editing styles
- Final draft delivery
Expand upon these skills in Technical Writing Techniques – Part 2.