Traveling abroad this summer? Here are 20 phrases you should really learn before you say “bon voyage!”
Consider writing the foreign translation next to the phrases below should you forget what you wanted to say, or are unable to speak for any reason.
- My name is __________.
- Can you speak more slowly?
- Where can I find a bus/taxi?
- Where can I find a train/metro?
- Can you take me to the airport please?
- How much does this cost?
- Do you take credit cards?
- Where is the nearest bathroom?
- Where can I get something to eat?
- Can you show me on a map how to get there?
- Will you write that down for me?
- I need help.
- I’m lost.
- I am an American citizen.
- Please call the American Embassy.
- Please call the police.
- I need a doctor.
- My blood type is ______.
- I’m allergic to _______.
- I’m sorry I don’t speak your language.
Alternatively, you could also get a picture dictionary to point at or a translation app.