Every day, and especially at this time of year, we are bombarded with all types of advertisements that are carefully designed to make us want to buy more and more things. But Word People aren’t easily duped. They know the power of a well-crafted message!
Here are 10 powerful words that advertisers wield like a mighty sword in order to boost their sales:
- You: This powerful word should be used early in any presentation or advertising copy. Why? Because this simple word makes the conversation with the customer seem more personal.
- Results: Shoppers, buyers, web surfers all have a common goal. They are looking for solutions to problems and answers to questions. This simple word grabs attention and works wonders in rationalizing a purchase.
- Health: Every person cares about their body and health. This word is another attention grabber.
- Guarantee: We all want to feel safe and we all want to avoid mistakes. It is human nature. Providing a guarantee gives your retail customers a sense of safety at the time of purchase. Guarantees provide an extra layer of comfort to the customer and help to overcome potential sales objections.
- Discover: People are naturally curious creatures and they love to discover new things. Often, those discoveries allow them to be the first on their block with a new product or service, and we all know that keeping up with the Joneses is a national pastime! This powerful word is a great way to position a product or service in the context of excitement and adventure.
- Love: As in “you are going to LOVE this product” is an all-time favorite. Retail customers not only want to love their products, but what the products can do for them. Even better…they want their friends and family members to love them when they receive a product as a gift!
- Proven: This word helps to remove the fear associated with trying something new or switching brands. It always helps to couple it with one of our other power words, “guarantee.”
- Safety: This word appeals to fundamental issues of our body, our lifestyle, our family, and our friends. Its use could refer to the health of a customer or their family, but also to the long-lasting quality of a product or service.
- Save: Everyone wants to save money, but we also want to save time. Good advertising shows customers how products, services, and value can save them time, money, and hassle. In the end, everybody wants to feel like they are saving something.
- New: As we have already discussed, people want to keep up with, or do better than their friends and neighbors: it’s the American way and it’s part of our basic human nature. Using the word “new” helps them meet this need.